Monday, March 25, 2013

Mini Bike Tour of Devonport


I went to the small town of Devonport on the North Shore the other day and brought my Brompton with me. I rode the ferry from the CBD's Pier 1 to the Devonport Ferry Terminal. Adult fare was NZ$11.00 round trip.
On board the ferry to Devonport
Brommie Skywalker on the Devonport Boardwalk
Upon my arrival, I unfolded my bike and started cycling. Devonport is an affluent suburb across Auckland CBD. There are small boutiques, specialty shops and cafes lining Queens Parade and Victoria Road. I proceeded north via Victoria Road then made a right on Kerr Street and followed the path up Mount Victoria. The hill was steep and I had a difficult time climbing it even on the Brompton's granny gears. But I eventually got to the top.
And, boy, did it give a fantastic view of the city.
Mount Victoria's Disappearing Gun
Mount Victoria is the tallest volcano in the North Shore. It used to be a military facility, much like Corregidor in the Philippines. It even has its own "disappearing gun."

After taking photos, I cycled down Kerr Street and turned left on Vauxhall Road. Passed through a row of houses. I stopped at the corner of Vauxhall and Tainui Roads and had a flat white in a french cafe. Sayang, wala silang chocolate croissant.
One of the many public beaches in Devonport. This one fronting Torpedo Bay.
And then I biked on Tainui Road and peeked at a couple of Devonport's public beaches. It's amazing. One minute you're like in San Lorenzo Village, then you make a turn, and its the beach! I wonder how much the houses are in this area. I'm pretty sure they're expensive.
After beach hopping, I turned to Cheltenham Road and biked south. I hit King Edward Parade and stopped by the Navy Museum.
From the museum I rode along King Edward Parade back to the ferry terminal, where I waited for my ferry back to Auckland CBD. I cycled a distance of 6 kms for this mini bike tour.
My Devonport Cycle Route

No comments:

Post a Comment